- Mississippi and Arkansas residents do not feel they must follow Memphis traffic rules. It is unknown if they realize they are even in Tennessee.
- The morning rush hour is from 5:00 am to noon. The evening rush hour is from noon to 7:00 pm. Friday’s rush hour starts on Thursday morning.
- The minimum acceptable speed on I-240 is 80 mph. On I-40 and I-55, get into the right lane if you’re only going to go ten miles over the posted speed limit as you are slowing everyone down.
- Memphis has its own version of traffic rules but no one understands what the HOV lanes are really designed for.
- If you actually stop at a yellow light or stop sign, you may be rear-ended, honked at, cussed out, and possibly shot.
- But you NEVER honk at anyone. Ever. Seriously. It’s another offense that can get you shot.
- Road construction is permanent and continuous.
- Detour barrels are moved around for your entertainment pleasure during the middle of the night to make the next day’s driving a bit more exciting.
- Generally, city roads, including the main streets, have more potholes than most dirt roads in the countryside. The right lane of Poplar has big drains that are used as a GM test track for car suspensions.
- Watch carefully for road hazards such as drunks, possums, skunks, dogs, barrels, cones, furniture, cats, mattresses, shredded tires, squirrels, rabbits, cooler lids, boxes and crows.
- Be aware that there is a huge difference between North Parkway East, East Parkway, East Parkway South, South Parkway, and South Parkway West. Do not be surprised when these streets intersect.
- If someone actually has their turn signal on, wave them to the shoulder immediately to let them know it has been “accidentally activated”. (Never mind, no one knows what a turn signal is.)
- Highway 14 is Austin Peay. But it’s also Jackson Avenue. Many street names change inexplicably.
- Downtown Memphis is comprised of a couple of one-way streets. For some, the only way to get out of downtown Memphis is to turn around and start over when you reach Arkansas or Mississippi.
- I-240 and I-55 is called “malfunction Junction.”
- Where the construction is on Canada Road and I-40 I believe would be most appropriately be known as “the east parking lot.”
Share this Article
What is arbitration? It is now common for most consumer businesses to put standard arbitration clauses in their contracts. Arbitration…
Things To Leave Your Executor
What Should You Leave The Executor Of Your Estate? ACCESS TO THE ORIGINAL WILL. Is it in a drawer? A…
The Next Generation
I noticed a sign in a gas station indicating that only those “born after this date in the year 2000…
Just A Minute
As an injury attorney, we conduct depositions regularly. In a deposition, the deponent is sworn to tell the truth, the…
Tinnitus And Suicide
You may have heard that Kent Taylor, founder and CEO of the Texas Roadhouse restaurant chain, has taken his own…
Customer Service Chick-fil-A Style
Chick-fil-A employees say “My Pleasure” instead of “You’re Welcome” because years ago Founder Truett Cathy heard that while at the…